Tuesday, February 26, 2008

National Youth Ministry Conference - Day Four / Wrap-up

The NYMC drew to a close on Monday. What a weekend! I have to admit that my brain was officially stuffed with information and ideas over the course of the last several days, but it has all been worth it. The highlight of the day for me was lunch. Yes, lunch. We didn't even have lunch at the convention center or the hotel. My friend Ruth and I had lunch at a Cracker Barrel restaurant just outside of Cincinnati off of I-74 W. Not only was our service wonderful (if you are ever at that restaurant, ask to be seated in Stephanie's section), but the company turned out to be pretty cool, too.

As we were sitting there munching on hashbrown casserole and country ham, three guys and a seahorse were seated at the table behind us. Yes, you read that correctly... three men and a seahorse. And, as it turns out, they had been at the NYMC, too! We didn't recognize them at first without their yellow name tags... I think it was when I heard one of them tell their server that "We're actually a lot older than we act," that I realized that they were probably youth workers...

Alan, David, Tim, and Nessie came to the NYMC from Wisconsin. (In case you're wondering, Nessie is the adorable seahorse.) These guys were super fun! So to my new Wisconsinite friends, God bless you and your ministries!

Ruth and I made it back to Urbana, IL, but I had to stay over an extra night instead of coming back to my home. Snow and ice is nice to look at, but it isn't such a joy to drive in (especially at night). So, we met up with John and Joan for some shopping and dinner at the Olive Garden. We had the BEST server: Laurie! You know you rocked, Laurie!

And now, the Top Five for Day Four (a Wrap-Up of the NYMC):

  1. Seriously, I will never forget hearing (and seeing) Tony Dungy on the first night of the conference! It was an amazing message from and amazing man of faith.
  2. I loved all of the videos -- the announcements, the road trip with Couch, Overnighter... they all ROCKED! Great job, y'all!
  3. Mark DeVries and his crew were fantastic! I learned a ton! Now, if I can just keep managing my monkeys...
  4. I must give some e-props to all of my Presbyterian friends that I met at the conference. God bless each and every one of you for all of your work in your churches. Jenna, if you read this, please be sure to send me some pics of your purses and jewelry - and I'll be seeing you this summer at GA! Remember, don't ever let anyone tell you that you are too young... (I think there's a scripture about that someplace...)
  5. Finally, I must give thanks to the behind the scenes folks that made the conference possible. God bless the people running the sound boards and all of the AV equipment!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for making us a part of your trip and your blog. We had a great conference also and Nessi had a blast. She said that she wants to go to Columbus next year. How can we say no.
-Alan-