- Seriously, I will never forget hearing (and seeing) Tony Dungy on the first night of the conference! It was an amazing message from and amazing man of faith.
- I loved all of the videos -- the announcements, the road trip with Couch, Overnighter... they all ROCKED! Great job, y'all!
- Mark DeVries and his crew were fantastic! I learned a ton! Now, if I can just keep managing my monkeys...
- I must give some e-props to all of my Presbyterian friends that I met at the conference. God bless each and every one of you for all of your work in your churches. Jenna, if you read this, please be sure to send me some pics of your purses and jewelry - and I'll be seeing you this summer at GA! Remember, don't ever let anyone tell you that you are too young... (I think there's a scripture about that someplace...)
- Finally, I must give thanks to the behind the scenes folks that made the conference possible. God bless the people running the sound boards and all of the AV equipment!
Tuesday, February 26, 2008
By 10:18 PM, we were all wondering where Josh was. We were all hoping that he was off getting us all a ton of free stuff... Some of us decided that we would just start the session without Josh. Here's what happens when you give youth leaders a podium and a working mic...
We shared a lot of great ideas about blogging and podcasts. We invited those with blogs to share their web addresses on the board we labeled: Got Blog?
And then Josh showed up! Hooray! And he brought some free stuff, too! Double hooray! And all of the free stuff went to people who had showed up after we had texted Josh suggesting that he bring free stuff... Yay for those who won free stuff!
It was really cool to meet Josh - a fellow Star Wars geek and goofball extraordinaire! I'm sure that my blog will never be the same! God bless you, brother!
Monday, February 25, 2008
- Those of us in Mark DeVries' learning track tried to engage the rooms next to us in a round of "We've got Spirit, yes we do! We've got Spirit, how 'bout you?". Alas... there were no responses. We figure that all they could here us saying was "wkosidnrj wowiefn wowkndrnf! solwefnseinlfwehfiwk pdeneewliyejhf ijhhfhwuef?" (We weren't exactly "together" on the cheer..)
- I did a study on Sabbath when I was in seminary, so it was refreshing to hear Mark DeVries say this regarding taking a day off each week: "If your church is suggesting that you break one of the ten commandments, then it probably isn't a good idea to work there."
- "My name is Tim, and I'm a porcupine farmer." Thank you, 321 Improv!
- Greg Stier said this about youth: "Why are they deaf to us? Because we are deaf to them!" Wow... let's all chew on that for a while...
- The announcement video... yeah... that was great! Check it out at Josh's blog.
Sunday, February 24, 2008
- The folks in Deeper Learning Track #11 learned that Mark DeVries had this advice for a youth leader wondering how to get more students to events: "Naked Jello wrestling is always a good idea." (Josh...I know that this isn't a picture, but...!)
- The Overnighter video by Leonard T.... FANTASTIC! You can check it out at Josh's blog, MoreThanDodgeball.com. I think Leonard has been to a few of my Lock-Ins...
- Hooray for the Skit Guys! They thanked us for what we do to serve youth. We thank them for sharing their gifts with all of us.
- We learned from Doug Fields that "God invented Red Bull." Scripture tells us that God never sleeps or slumbers... now we know how God does it!
- My friend Ruth and I met Jason, who I would officially like to name as the King of the Gift With Purchase! Jason... you know who you are... You Rock!
As a bonus... we discovered that there are actually a pretty good number of Presbyterians at the conference! Yay Presbys!!! Those Presbys who are attending Mark's class stopped for a picture on Saturday afternoon, and that night there was a group that met at the Elm Street Bistro for more fun and frivolity. Remember the words of 1 Timothy 5:23. Our stomachs and our souls felt better after our evening out... although I'm pretty sure it was the company and not what we may have had to drink!
I'm probably not going to get my Day Three and Day Four posts up until Wednesday, since I'll be up late on Sunday (learning more about blogging from Josh), driving back to Illinois all day on Monday, and chillin' at a Presbytery meeting all day on Tuesday. So... keep checking back for updates!
Oh -- and there will be a contest coming your way soon (with a groovy prize and everything)! Details will be out this week...
Saturday, February 23, 2008
The opening session last night was really nicely done. Josh Griffin opened things up with some giveaways and wacky antics - but really, would we expect anything less from Josh? I'm praying that they give away more of the Sack Chairs, and that I defy the odds and actually catch the hacky-sack that they toss into the crowd! Those things ROCK! Be sure to check their website, y'all!
The entire evening was really cool, but the highlight had to be hearing from Tony Dungy! What an amazing, Spirit-filled man! If you have never thought of ministry as a kind of coaching... well... it is never too late to start! Key points: 1) Learn your craft; 2) Make connections by being yourself and keeping it personal; and 3) Be sure to recharge your battery (Sabbath keeping, anyone?). In case you ever read my blog, Tony... Thanks for an awesome message of hope and encouragement!
Here's my Top 5 from Day One:
- We all learned that Rick Lawrence has a picture of Doug Fields in a Speedo... and we all died a little inside when we saw it...
- Thom and Joani Schultz almost shared a passionate kiss in front of us all... but the voters decided that they wanted to hear them answer awkward questions instead (46% to 48%! I was expecting a landslide for the awkward question!). No questions about burping in worship or anything...but perhaps another time...
- Tim Timmons led us in a rockin' version of My Hope Is Built On Nothing Less (On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand)... Fantabulous!
- We watched a piece on The Couch's trip to the conference... I want to officially invite The Couch to my next pool party!
- Tony Dungy, Tony Dungy, Tony Dungy!!!
Oh... and the best T-shirt award goes to this guy:Keep checking back for more updates and pictures!