Monday, February 25, 2008

My Friend Kurt and His Adventure with Rocky Vance

Demonstrating that the resourcefulness of a good youth worker knows no bounds, my new friend Kurt went dumpster diving at the NYMC.

The wacky Presbys from Mark DeVries' learning track decided we would all go to lunch together on Sunday. We got together and agreed that we would see if the Chinese restaurant was open across the street, so we all started walking down the halls of the convention center to make our way to the Skywalk. Kurt was walking just ahead of me, so I saw him when he did this. While waking past one of the trash barrels, Kurt - in one fluid movement - reached in and pulled out a yardstick! "It's a perfectly good yardstick," he said in his defence. The Chinese restaurant was closed; so we went to Champs. The yardstick came along. No, it didn't have its own chair.

After we ordered, Kurt noticed that there was a name on the yardstick: Rocky Vance. And there was also a phone number -- Rocky Vance's phone number.

So Kurt decided to call Mr. Rocky Vance. Rocky didn't answer, so Kurt left a voicemail that went something like this:

"Rocky...hey! This is Kurt. I found something of yours at the convention center, and I think it is pretty important. I'd like to get it back to you today if I can. It looks pretty important. You can reach me at XXX-XXX-XXXX. I'm betting that you really need to get this back. It appears to be a yardstick. It is approximately 36 inches long and made out of wood. There's some lines and numbers on it too. Give me a call, Rocky. Hope I can get this back to you. Bye."

About 30 minutes later, as we were eating our lunch, Rocky called back. I'm not sure if he knew quite what to do with Kurt. Rocky explained that he was at the Car Show that was meeting on the first floor of the convention center and that he was giving the yardsticks away.

Kurt: "So, do you want to meet someplace in the convention center so I can return your yardstick to you?"

Rocky Vance: "Naw, man. It's free! You can keep it!"

Kurt: "Really? Wow, Rocky, that's really nice of you, man! Thanks!"

I thought we were all going to die laughing!

Unfortunately, the yardstick did not survive the whole day... but none of us will forget Kurt and his adventure with Rocky Vance.

2 comments:

Ruth said...

As one of those "wacky presbys" in attendance at the NYMC, I can attest to the truth of this post. My sides are still aching from all of the laughter this past weekend. What a great experience. What Amy didn't tell you about was Chapter Two of the life of the yardstick. You've heard the phrase "two heads are better than one"? Well, two half-yard sticks are better than one yardstick. Enter Jeff--and you know who you are!!!! Jeff and Kurt spent much of the rest of the time up until our afternoon session started beating on each other and fencing. They called a mutual truce though and spent the afternoon session lounging on a huge sack chair--which really will be the future of furniture for youth centers around the world(sound interesting? check out the website at www.sackchairs.com). Hopefully Amy will get a picture posted soon. Fun times. Rocky Vance, whoever you are, dude, thanks for being a good sport!!!

Amy said...

I'll be posting some of those pics later this week. Now that I'm finally home, I can try to blog with some greater regularity... That winter weather gets you every time...