Monday, June 16, 2008

My Eyes Are Going to Fall Out...

I've just spent the last 3 hours reading through a handful of the overtures to General Assembly that will be coming before my committee (Church Orders and Ministry)... and I think that my eyes are about to fall out! Seriously. Page after page of "stuff" from this Presbytery and that Presbytery...

The overtures that I've been looking at all have to do with either upholding the recommendations from the PUP Task Force that were approved at the 217th GA in 2006 or doing away with those recommendations. Frankly, the ones that seek to do away with them are laughable -- well, laughable or cry-able, I suppose. Let me list the first 4 of the 5 recommendations for you to see... The Task Force on Peace, Unity, and Purity of the Church recommends that the 217th General Assembly (2006):
  1. strongly encourage (a.) every member of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) to witness to the church's visible oneness, to avoid division into separate denominations that obscure our community in Christ, and to live in harmony with other members of this denomination, so that we may with one voice together glorify God in Jesus Christ, by the power of the Holy Spirit; and (b.) all sessions, congregations, presbyteries, and synods to renew and strengthen their covenanted partnership with one another and with the General Assembly.
  2. urge governing bodies, congregations, and other groups of Presbyterians to follow the example of the task force and other groups that, in the face of difficult issues, have engaged in processes of intensive discernment through worship, community building, study, and collaborative work.
  3. commend for study the Theological Reflection that heads the task force report.
  4. direct the Committee on the Office of the General Assembly, and urge those who plan and moderate other governing bodies, to explore the use of alternative forms of discernment and decision-making as a complement to parliamentary procedure, especially in dealing with potentially divisive issues.

I have to say that these all make a good deal of sense to me. I cannot imagine a time when the practice of discernment could be a bad thing. And I think I remember there being several places in scripture where we are called to treat each other -- even our enemies -- with honor and respect. And I certainly am in support of anything which calls us to study our theological understandings of things.

So, I am disappointed, to say the least, when I read overtures from presbyteries that want to do away with these recommendations. Their reasoning tends to be based on the notion that "peace" (aka - no disagreements) has not been made manifest in the last 2 years. People are still disagreeing with one another, so we want to run away from each other? That seems a bit reactive to me...

I'll keep you posted on my other musings as I am able... This is going to be interesting...

No comments: