Monday, June 23, 2008

Day Two

Alas, I still seem to be having issues with my mobile blogger, which means that I will not be able to post as often as I had hoped. But, I will post updates as often as I am able to gain access to one of the email kiosks or a WiFi hotspot.

Worship was held this morning, and it was a wonderful service! They posted a link to view a replay of the worship service on-line at the PCUSA website. I think that it was done in streaming video, so it may not be available still... But, if it is still available, I encourage you to check it out. (If you did see it online, I invite you to share your thoughts by commenting to this post.)

One of the most moving parts of the service for me was hearing the choir sing an anthem entitled "Offertory" by John Ness Beck. It is a beautiful setting of the words of Micah 6:6-8 (the text of Micah 6:8 is the theme of GA this year). This particular anthem has a very special place in my heart, as I sang it when I was a camper at the Jr. Music Camp at Kirkmont (a Presbyterian camp in Ohio). It was a true blessing to me.

I was also truly touched by the communion service. We served each other, passing the bread and the cup down each row. To see the people of God serving one another -- all of us coming from places near and far, representing a wide spectrum of theological standpoints, and even speaking different languages -- was certainly a glimpse of the Kingdom coming to life. It was a time for the Church to truly be church. I purchased one of the chalices that was used in worship today, and I look forward to using it in continued service and witness to what the Church is called to do and to be.

In other news, the committees began meeting tonight. Most of the activity tonight on my committee (Church Orders and Ministry) involved getting to know the members of the committee and approving the docket. Our really official business begins in the morning (and continues for most of the day). If I am able to post anything before tomorrow evening, I will. And, hopefully we will conclude our business tomorrow evening on time so I am able to post something...

I believe that I can speak for all of the commissioners from our presbytery in that we deeply appreciate your prayers -- both for us as commissioners and for the General Assembly as a whole. I believe that the Spirit is alive and at work here, strengthening and challenging the Presbyterian Church as we work together to discern God's call to us in this time!

2 comments:

Alice said...

Thinking of you and praying for you! We will miss you at the CE meeting Wednesday, but...

Alice

Unknown said...

We are praying for you. And we are encouraged to know that you are doing God's work at Assembly.

Even more, I hope you know that you are sent as a prophet to those attending. Now, what that means, I really don't know.

Dan