Friday, March 11, 2011

A Lenten Fast Suggestion

The season of Lent officially began on March 9th (Ash Wednesday), and it will continue for forty days until Easter Sunday. Beginning in the days of the early church, the season of Lent has developed into a time for learning and preparation – particularly for those preparing to be baptized. For all of us, Lent is a time to renew our faith, reaffirm our baptismal identities, and to learn more about what it means to be a follower of Christ.

Many Christians “give something up” for Lent. Have you ever done that? Many people will fast from something during Lent – giving up meat, chocolate, television, or something like that. Fasting is a common Christian practice – especially during this season. By choosing to refrain from enjoying something that we otherwise enjoy on a regular basis, it gives us an opportunity to appreciate those things that much more when we break our fast. Fasting during Lent also invites us to refocus our lives, to repent from our sins, and to renew our commitment to God and God’s Church.

Over the last several years, I have opted to "take on something" during Lent instead of "giving up something". And this year, I am wanting to do both -- take on something AND give up something. Once again, I will be striving to "take on" blogging on a more regular basis. (Hopefully, I will have better success this year!) And I will be "giving up" the oh so tasty trips to Dunkin Donuts... I plan to use the money I would have spent buying donuts and coffee to support one of our church's missions.

Now... all this is well and good and all that... but, let me share what I PRAY we will ALL consider giving up for Lent this year... It is my prayer that we will give up saying things like "But, we've never done it that way before," and "We tried that once and it didn't work." Seriously. I REALLY want us all to give up these useless phrases! I especially pray that those of us who believe Scripture when it says "Behold, I am about to do a new thing" and "Nothing will be impossible with God" will give up saying things that express hopelessness, reluctance, and fear. Instead of "But, we've never done it that way before," I hope that we will say "Let's give it a try!" Instead of "We tried that once and it didn't word," I hope that we will say "Let's see what happens this time!"

As we begin our Lenten journeys, may we dare to look forward - not backward. May we celebrate the gifts God has given - not whine about what we wish we had...

No comments: