Tuesday, February 23, 2010

We Interrupt This Blog for a Mini-Rant...

I'm just wondering... When did it become okay to lay on your car horn while waiting for the car in front of you to make a turn into traffic?

In order to get to Zumba, I need to make a right-hand turn onto a busy street. It is a pretty standard, run-of-the-mill kind of intersection -- you stop at the stop sign, and turn when the way is clear (since the other cars do not have to stop). So, when I made my way to Zumba last night - while the freezing rain came down - I stopped at the stop sign, and waited for the cars to either slide through the intersection or turn before I made my turn.

There were several cars zipping through the intersection. And, of course, there were a bunch of cars that decided to turn that didn't use their turning signals. Mind you, if the cars had actually used their turning signals, letting me know that they were going to turn, then I would have gone ahead and turned. But, since their right-hand turning signals were all broken (clearly that is what the problem was), I waited to turn. I guess I am just the kind of person that doesn't want to pull out in front of people -- especially when the roads are slick.

And... I guess that the guy behind me is the kind of person who wants to pull out in front of people -- even when the roads are slick. Seriously... This guy laid on his car horn when I didn't turn -- all the while, there were about a half-dozen cars skidding down the road in the lane into which I would be turning! Much to his dismay, all of his honking did nothing to make me want to throw caution to the wind, rev up the engine, and pull out into oncoming traffic. I waited until it was safe, and then I made my turn.

When did we all get to be in such a hurry that even waiting for the car in front of you to execute a turn safely became an inconvenience?

1 comment:

Pastor Brenda Lovick said...

Amy, it became okay when you moved to the East Coast. :) And New York is the worst! I miss you, my friend. I hope you are well!